Saturday, July 11, 2009

Distant Worlds

So yesterday I attended my second Final Fantasy Concert, Distant Worlds. Performed by the Seattle Symphony and conducted by Arnie Roth. It was pretty awesome.

The music selection was mostly from Final Fantasy VIII, which wasn't surprising. As I recall, the first concert I went to featured a lot of FFVIII content as well (Dear Friends). Luckily for me they played my favorite Final Fantasy song, 'Terra's Theme'.

Also in attendance was the Maestro himself, Nobou Uematsu. Much applause happened, however, the introductions too a little too long and they had to cut one of the songs (Theme of Love, Final Fantasy IV) from the concert. It's not my favorite FFIV song, but it's a good one and I would have liked to have heard it. In fact, it was the only song from FFIV on the play list, which makes it even more of a shame.

One song on their play list which surprised me was the opera scene from Final Fantasy VI. I like this piece a lot, though I would have preferred Dancing Mad instead. The Symphony's performance was wonderful, however, the mezzo-soprano singing the part of Maria/Celes messed up a few times. I think if no one else was watching, Mr. Roth would have wacked her up side the head.

All in all it was an enjoyable show. I wish they didn't have to rush through the set, however, I understand how all that stuff works. I enjoyed this show a bit better than Dear Friends, but I think that's mainly because Dear Friends was out doors in San Diego and the Navy decided the fly a helicopter over head to interrupt our show during Terra's Theme.

Benaroya Hall is quite a place. Rumor has it that the auditorium is actually floating inside the main building. Whatever the case may be, the acustics were incredible, and the music was exceptional, which is why these concerts never disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment